The F.O.E. was founded in February, 1898 by six theater owners gathered in a Seattle shipyard to
discuss a musician’s strike. After addressing the matter, they agreed to “bury the hatchet” and form “The
Order of Good Things.” As numbers grew, members selected the bald eagle as the official emblem and
changed the name to “The Fraternal Order of Eagles.” The Women’s Auxiliary traces its roots to 1927.
F.O.E. membership is nearly 1.1 million, with more than 1,500 local aeries in the U.S. and Canada.
Members are recruited by other members and must be sponsored by two members before the
membership process begins.
Within British Columbia, our membership is over 4,000 strong (Aerie side) and over 2,200 strong (Auxiliary side) in more than twenty Aerie Homes.
"People Helping People"
− Founded Mother’s Day
− Served as the driving force in founding the Social Security Program
− Helped end job discrimination based on age with the Jobs After 40 Program